Saturday 18 December 2004

2004 in Review - borrowed from Mindy's/Dianne's blogs!

What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
I stitched on hand dyed fabric! I made a tassle!! I went on holiday with my sister.

Did you keep your new years' resolutions and will you make more for next year?
Er..... I'm sure I made a resolution about losing weight again. Sadly the only weight I lost was when I fell ill after my holiday & managed to lose a stone in 2 weeks!

Did anyone close to you give birth?
A friend of a friend gave birth to a baby boy last Saturday (11th).

Did anyone close to you die?
No.

What countries did you visit?
Egypt.

What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
Self confidence!

What date from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
11th December - I went to a party with my sister & BIL held at one of his work colleagues houses who I didn't even know & lo & behold I bumped into one of my best schoolfriends who I hadn't seen since she left the area in 1987! Turns out she's been living up the road from my sister for several years now!!!

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Its not really an achievement, but my best friend asked me if I would become guardian to my godson should anything happen to her & her husband as I'm the person she trusts the most. I was genuinely touched!

What was your biggest failure?
Failing to keep up my program at the gym on a regular basis!

Did you suffer illness or injury?
Last Christmas Eve I went down with tonsilitis which continued into the early part of this year. I also had a nasty stomach bug when I came back from Egypt.

What was the best thing you bought?
In Egypt I bought a gold cartouche necklace with my name in hieroglyphics which was made on our cruise boat within just 24hrs! I had really wanted to get one & am so pleased with it.

Whose behavior merited celebration?
Jill Halfpenny on Strictly Come Dancing - I was so glad she won! She truly deserved to win as she danced her socks off every week!!

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I don't like football at the best of times & when I heard that David Beckham had purposely gotten a yellow card in one of his matches it just made me so angry that someone like him gets paid such a disgusting amount of money for such appalling occurances!

Where did most of your money go?
The usual - home, car, petrol and of course..... STASH! Oh and Egypt wasn't cheap either!!!

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Seeing Duran Duran in concert in April on their anniversary tour. I loved them when I was a teenager & my mum wouldn't let me go & see them at the time as I was too young! So I'd waited 20 years to see them & my friend bought tickets for us which were at the front at the side of the stage! We had such a great view - it was a night to remember & I even felt like a teenager again!

What song will always remind you of 2004?
Anything off of Duran Duran's fabulous Astronaut album!

Compared to this time last year, are you:happier or sadder?
About the same really.

Thinner or fatter?
Probably about half a stone less.... but we haven't gotten to Christmas yet!

Richer or poorer?
About the same.

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Stitching!

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Housework.... sadly its a necessity!

How will you be spending Christmas?
I will be working at the hospital from 8am until 3pm, then I will be driving over to my sister's to spend the rest of the day with my family. We'll do the usual unwrapping of gifts when I get there, have lunch a bit later then play a few games I expect.

Did you fall in love in 2004?
Only with Mr J. Depp and Mr G. Clooney!! ;o)

What was your favorite TV program?
Hustle was great - sort of like a British Ocean's 11, good fun and Strictly Come Dancing - wonderful glitz & glamour on a Saturday night!

Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't 'hate' anyone. I can't think of anyone that I dislike now that I didn't last year either!

What was the best book you read?
I'm not a big reader - something has to really grip me! I'm more of a reference book browser. I read Bill Bryson's Notes From A Big Country which was quite amusing & I also found Titanic - The Ship That Never Sank engrossing.

What was your greatest musical discovery of 2004?
The Scissor Sisters - they're so coooool!

What did you want and get?
I wanted Chatelaine's Taj Mahal Garden kit from European XS which my Dad bought me for my birthday.

What did you want and not get?
A digital camera..... I'm still hoping one may turn up on Christmas morning!

What was your favorite film of this year?
I have 3 - Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban: heaps better than the other 2 & much more how I imagined Harry's world to look. Spidey 2: I loved the first one & didn't think this would top it, but it did and then some! And also Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Bizarre, kooky, weird... I loved it!

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 34 this year. I went to the Knitting & Stitching show at Alexandra Palace in London with my friend on my birthday. It was hu-a-mongous!

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Seeing Duran Duran at all their London shows!

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
Anything looks good with jeans! ;o)

What kept you sane?
My stitching!

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I think I've already mentioned them... Mr J. Depp & Mr G. Clooney!

What political issue stirred you the most?
Tony Blair's reluctance to admit he was wrong to get involved in the whole Iraq carbuncle.

Who did you miss?
My elderly aunt who died last year. I didn't see her very often, but I miss my trips to see her at her lovely old house.

Who was the best new person you met?
Well, I haven't met her, but I'd say Gill - my great online, emaily stitchy friend! We have enabled each other so much this year.... I don't think there can be any areas left in the stitching world for enabling to take place!

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004:
Don't take people for granted - they may not always be around so cherish them whilst you can.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Walk like an Egyptian...... :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm blushing here Sam! I'm glad I met you too!

Faith Ann said...

I enjoyed reading your year in review Sam. I loved Duran Duran when I was a teen too :).